Thursday’s Travels

I have been working on the driveshaft for Lucy in order to complete the driveline.  I have done this many times before but always need to measure more than once, sleep on it and measure again.  The results were the same but in the past they have been different many times.  I know you have some leeway to play with but being an engineer I like things exact.  I took the driveshaft to Wenco for shortening and installing the yoke, U-joints and balancing.  They balance the complete unit on some very sophisticated machinery which ensures trouble free operation once installed. That trip killed the morning and some of the afternoon.  I know most of you know about driveshaft selection but I have included a few photos of the Pewsplace backyard operation using a used Chevelle shaft.

I had a fellow stop by yesterday to look at the roadster to see if he would fit in a model 40.  I am 6 foot, 200 pounds and fit just fine with room to spare.  This fellow was 6′-4” and about 250 pounds and guess what… he fit just fine also.  The Glide seat moves 7 inches forward from the rearward position and allows the largest and smallest driver to feel comfortable while driving the car.  I have not advertised the car for a long time and really want to finish this one so I referred him to SAR for one of their metal bodies.  Mine is a Wescott and I am very happy with it.  If a real one shows up some day I will let the restorer have it.  I could not cut up a real one.

I picked up the water pump and fuel pump at NAPA with the hopes of getting them detailed for installation tomorrow.  I made sure the fuel pump was indexed correctly for my application.  Mine is not adjustable as the Edelbrock model is.  I am ready for a battery box and battery next but that is another story for later.

Stay Tooned!


Somewhere in LA this sedan is being assembled like I like them.  Split bones are more popular than ever.  Those chop lines on the door look severe.

The yoke on my driveshaft was the long one and needed to come off prior to going to Wenco.

Since I don’t have a press handy and the vise isn’t large enough I choose to use a 1 1/6″ socket for the receiver and a 11/16″ socket for the driver.  All you need is a couple of easy hits with the hammer and out they come.

The job took less than 10 minutes and now for a quick cleaning with the Brake Kleen.

My roadster visitor yesterday liked the Buick drums on the rear so I thought I would show you how simple the process is to complete. The backing plate has been trimmed on the bottom lip which protrudes on the stock Buick.  A lathe works fine but I use a grinder cause I don’t have a lathe with the 13 inch swing.

The back side shows where the holes have been welded up and the new 9 inch pattern drilled.  I use the ends from a large bearing 1/2 hole unit as a jig.  The center hole fits the large Ford bearing (3.160″) with a little sanding.  The backing plate is now ready to go.

The drum has been drilled for a 5 1/2 ” bolt circle.  Fred has a jig that makes it simple.  You don’t want to drill them by hand or they will not just slid over the lugs.  Do this one correctly.

The backing plate and drum have been mated together for a real traditional look on the rear of Lucy’s Halibrand.  The parts are getting harder to find but the effort will provide the look without the cost of the SO-CAL covers.

I like the finished look and the natural “as cast” finish matches the Quickchange.  The work is done by P&L deburring in Chatsworth, CA.

A view from the inside shows how well the 40 housing fit in the backing plate.  You use stock 60 Buick brake parts from NAPA.  I like the look.  The backing plates are painted to match the “as cast” finish.  Seymour paints supplied the rattle cans.

Today’s 40 coupe….dreaming!

Santa Barbara is home to some beautiful 1940 Fords and this is one of them.  Those are gold 16 inch wheels and bias tires.  $55K and it could be yours.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *