View Sidebar
Thursdays Thoughts

Thursdays Thoughts

February 18, 2010 7:08 pm0 comments

I was off to the office early today to see what Bob was up to. He has been working on his roadster and Jag rear end. I think he is learning a lot by doing a Jaguar rear axle. I installed several of these in the 70’s and while they rode great I preferred the Halibrand or 9 inch station wagon rear. Bob had Vern’s do the chrome work and that is another whole car in itself. Chrome work is really expensive today. After the office, I headed home as the wife was going shopping today…which meant…

I had all day to work on the cars. I made the decision to make the exhaust system for my new motor. I needed to make the front part of the exhaust pipes so they would clear the starter and oil filter. I always make my own system as I can’t afford the mandrel bent ones being offered by SO-CAL. The Long Beach Swap meet has all the U bends you need. I use my chop saw to make the square cuts. If you don’t cut the tubing squarely you will have a tough time welding the gaps. I thought this would give me some practice welding thin gauge metal (16 gauge). Things went well and I finished both sides. The next step will be to put the motor in the car and fabricate the reaming exhaust pipes. I think I will have them coated in a satin black to go with the theme of the roadster….

Stay Tooned!

Lynn

[singlepic=3797]

Bill has the real thing he is putting together. This car came to Bill in pieces. I would do a lot for this one.

[singlepic=3798]

Lou had the right idea with his 325 Hemi in his delivery. Looks cool and that manifold is a rare item. Is this in the 40 coupe now?

[singlepic=3799]

I installed a home built 327 in my 48 convert. I had a ball doing this and the car ran very strong despite being very heavy.

[singlepic=3800]

I mounted the starter and the exhaust to see what I needed to do to make it fit. The exhaust pipe hit the starter. I needed about 1 inch more clearance.

[singlepic=3801]

The head pipe would need to be cut and a U-bend added to obtain the correct curvature to clear the starter.

[singlepic=3802]

I use my chop saw to get a perpendicular cut across the pipe. Anything else makes welding tough and the cross section does not match.

[singlepic=3803]

Now I have the correct angle for the next bend.

[singlepic=3804]

Here is the next section after welding it to the down pipe.

[singlepic=3805]

The drivers side was harder and required more bends due to the steering gear location. A MII makes this easy as you have a straight shot downward with no steering gear to worry about. The R&P steering shaft comes close but misses the header.

[singlepic=3806]

Gary has the look I am after in Andre but the roadster needs headers to fit the build theme. Agree!

Today’s 40 convert…dreaming!

[singlepic=3807]

Mike had Bob build him a cherry convert. Note axle and SBC. I like this set up the best as it just looks right to me.

(Visited 12 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a reply